Sunday, 28 September 2014

Sunday stroll: Parc del Laberint d'Horta, Barcelona

I've moved! Come on over & read this post over on my new blog Oh hello, Spain.
You can also check out my new posts while you're there.

Probably because of the lack of Gaudi link, Parc del Laberint d'Horta isn't on most visitors' Barcelona itineraries. Located above the city in the well-heeled Horta-Guinardó neighbourhood, this park is a pretty diverse place, with both formal gardens and wilder areas with streams and waterfalls. Oh, and the 'labyrinth' in the name: a maze.

Parc del Laberint's formal gardens. The blur's from Instagram, not my shaky hand.


Entry is free on Sunday, making it the perfect day to head out of the centre and get your greenery fix. Admittedly you'll have to share that maze with plenty of over-excited children (and marginally less excited adults), but as the park covers 9 hectares, you're bound to find a relatively peaceful area. The Parc del Laberint is Barcelona's oldest garden, originally designed in 1792 by an Italian engineer (who presumably also had green fingers).



The contrast between the classical, formal gardens and the rambling forest is the Parc del Laberint's strong point. After strolling and admiring the neatly-ordered shrubberies and manoeuvred your way out of the maze (not that difficult, don't worry), you can wander into the woodland. With sculptures hidden away like surprises, it's far from being your average walk in the woods.



Afterwards, if you're travelling by car, head up to the mirador above Horta for some incredible views over the city and up to Tibidabo.

View from the mirador above Horta


The details
Parc del Laberint d'Horta is open daily from 10amdusk. Closed during November.
General admission: €2.23. Free on Sundays.
Metro: Mundet.

And now for the announcement!
So this will most likely be one of the last posts you read at Tales of a Brit Abroad. Don't worry, I'm not giving up on the blog: I'm just moving over to a new name and address. After almost 5 years, I feel it's time for a change and I need a name that's more Spain-related (and a bit more professional-sounding!). Nothing will change content-wise, you'll still be able to read the same mix of expat life posts, Madrid recommendations and travel posts: just at a different address. Over the next few days I'll be changing my social media handles (if you're already following me, you still will be  just at a different name) and transferring over to the new blog. When it's all up and running I'll post the link here. I'd love you to come on over and join me at the new address! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...