Friday, 11 June 2010

My Madrid: Glamour and games at Café Manuela

As the countdown begins for my departure (yes folks, you read it here first, the Brit Abroad is set to return to the motherland in a few months), I thought it was about time I started to share my favourite places in Madrid with my dear readers. So, every Friday (unless I'm travelling, of course), I'll post details of a bar, restaurant, shop or attraction.

First on my list is Café Manuela, in the cool-without-trying neighbourhood of Malasaña. (By that I mean it doesn't matter if you're wearing scruffy trainers or haven't brushed your hair. Always handy) Unlike the summer terrazas currently popping up all over the city, with Café  Manuela it's what's inside that counts. 

The bar's interior is a winning fusion of old-school glamour and shabby chic: think mirrored walls and stucco pillars teamed with mismatched wooden chairs. The atmosphere is buzzing yet relaxed, as crowds of friends meet up to pore over one of the the bar's main attractions: the board games. Café Manuela keeps a huge stack of games, from Pictionary to Trivial Pursuit, perfect for days when you feel like having a low-key evening rather than a hectic night out. The perfect accompaniment to this throwback to childhood is a mint chocolate milkshake, the bar's speciality (€3.50). On rainy days, cosy up with the winter version: thick mint-infused hot chocolate. Snacks like sandwiches and cakes are also available.

If you're in the mood for a grown-up drink, Café Manuela also offers a selection of wines and a short cocktail list, but my order will always be a milkshake sipped with a side of Scrabble. 

  • Café Manuela is located at Calle de Vicente Ferrer 29 (metro Tribunal).
Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment!

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...